The Libenu Foundation is a 501(c) 3 not-for-profit organization comprised of parents and professionals working together to address the needs of Jewish adults and children with disabilities in the Metropolitan Chicago area. The group was formed in response to the shortage of available services relative to the significant and immediate needs of the population.
Libenu, from the Hebrew word meaning “Our Hearts”, reflects a heartfelt commitment to enabling Jewish adults with developmental disabilities to maximize their level of independence and self-determination in an inclusive community setting.
At Libenu, we believe that every individual with a
disability has the right to:
- Live independently, with dignity and respect
- Reside in a comfortable, safe, person-centered, inclusive environment
- Have access to meaningful day programing that includes vocational preparation
- Develop self-sufficiency through gainful employment
- Engage in social and recreational activities that foster inclusion
- Participate in Jewish life as fully included members of the community
At Libenu, our values are to:
- Provide a gold standard of care and service while adhering to Torah values
- Maximize opportunities for children and adults with disabilities while fostering independence, inclusion, and self-sufficiency
- Be person and family centered and proactively address the changing needs of Libenu clients across their lifespan
- Model excellence, integrity, and professionalism
- Maintain a “we before me” philosophy